Start out on the right foot. Here are some simple steps for making sure you have a great time when you first start speedskating!
- Arrive 45 minutes before the session starts (10:45am in San Jose and 4:30pm in Oakland). This gives us time to get you set up with skates. Required: long pants, long sleeved shirt, hockey or bicycle helmet. Highly Recommended: gloves, knee pads. Oakland skaters need to sign our waiver. Skaters under 18 will need a parent or guardian's signature on the waiver.
- Pay admission at the front desk in San Jose. In Oakland you will pay directly to the club (we'll send you to the right person). Admission is $13 at the door in San Jose, and $18 at Oakland. Speed skate rentals are $3.
- We will give you a handout that explains the rules of the rink and what you'll be doing. It is very important that you read and understand the rules, as they are for the safety of all skaters on the ice.
- New skaters will be assigned to the novice coach who will direct you in drills and let you know when its your turn to skate laps.
- Work on one to two skills per session. A coach may tell you what to work on based on the progress you are making. You may ask for help at any time. Please ask your coach for help first, if they're busy you may be referred to another designated coach.
- Set realistic expectations! We want you to come out and have a great time. Do not get discouraged, becoming a great skater takes time.
- Get enough sleep the night before. This is a strenuous activity!
- Eat well before arriving at the rink! You're going to need the energy. Do a basic warmup before the session starts.
- More questions? See the contact info on the home page.